That’s my guess, 35 years. So what’s in store for me (and us) in 35 years? One method used to predict the future is to look at the past. Let’s look at events from 35 years ago.
Here is a random list of events from 35 years ago that could portend the future (in my opinion). My method? I looked up the year 1979 on Wikipedia and kinda scanned it and copy/pasted entries willy nilly:
- The United States and the People’s Republic of China establish full diplomatic relations.
- The Pol Pot regime collapses.
- Ayatollah Khomeini creates the Council of the Islamic Revolution.
- The Sahara Desert experiences snow for 30 minutes.
- The U.S. Voyager 1 spaceprobe photos reveal Jupiter’s rings.
- Margaret Thatcher becomes the first female British prime minister.
- McDonald’s introduces the Happy Meal.
- The Dukes of Hazzard debuts on CBS.
- Sweden outlaws corporal punishment in the home.
- Los Angeles’ city council passes the city’s first homosexual rights bill signed without fanfare by mayor Thomas Bradley.
- The Sony Walkman goes on sale for the first time in Japan.
- Iran hostage crisis begins.
- The eradication of the smallpox virus is certified, making smallpox the first of only two human diseases that have been driven to extinction.
- The Soviet Union invades Afghanistan, and Babrak Karmal replaces overthrown and executed President Hafizullah Amin, which begins the war.
- The One-child policy is introduced in China – it has since prevented about 400 million births. It is later loosened in 2013.
- The first usenet experiments are conducted by Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis of Duke University.
- Chrysler receives government loan guarantees upon the request of CEO Lee Iacocca.